HAT MATERIALS (COWBOY HATS)
Peter Grimm only accepts the highest quality of straws, grown by responsible farmers.
Moroccan Straw– Moroccan Straw is a wide-grade straw and is a common material used in hats made in Mexico. Moroccan is a staple in the Peter Grimm line. This straw dries quickly and allows for a great deal of distressing, if desired.
Peanut Straw– This is also a wide-grade straw, and has nothing to do with peanuts. We have no idea where the name came from! This straw holds up to more contact and shaping than other straws and does not dry out as quickly.
- Raffia Straw– Raffia is a genus of palms, the leaves of which can be stripped down into individual fibers and woven together.
- Toyo Straw– Toyo is a shiny smooth straw made primarily of shellacked rice. Peter Grimm takes great pride in using Toyo in several of our Spring and Summer styles. We use two primary styles of Toyo: Straight and Twisted.
- Panama Straw– This straw is made from the plaited leaves of the Carludovica palmata plant, known locally as the toquilla palm or jipijapa palm, although it is a palm-like plant rather than a true palm. The quality of this straw is unmatched by any other.
- Felt– Felt is a non-woven cloth produced by the process of matting, rather than weaving. Most felts come from animal wool or fur, but we use an animal-friendly acrylic version that is used widely across the fashion industry.
- Suede– Suede is made from leather with a napped surface that creates a soft-hand feel. As an environmentally and animal conscious brand, we make all of our hats “Suede” hats out of Faux-Suede. We achieve the look, feel, and style of real suede without bringing any harm to innocent animals.
- Cotton Canvas– Canvas fabric otherwise known as duck cloth is a beautiful vibrant 100% cotton fabric that is tough and durable cotton fabric and great for a wide variety of applications
- Cotton– Cotton is a soft, fluffy staple fiber that is breathable and easy to clean. Very popular in the apparel industry for it’s soft feel and long lifespan.
- Polyester– Polyester is a durable, easy-care synthetic fabric made from petroleum byproducts. It can be manufactured in a variety of weights and textures that make it incredibly versatile in the headwear industry.
- RipStop– RipStop is a woven, lightweight, nylon-threaded material that resists tearing and ripping. This material is extremely useful for any outdoor apparel.